If you are a professional wanting to climb up the corporate ladder and advance into the world of Project Management, the Certified Associate Project Management (CAPM) certification from PMI – USA awaits you with all the knowledge you will need to fortify your foundations. No matter which stage you stand at in your career journey, CAPM is the one entry-level certification that will set you apart and demonstrate your understanding of all the fundamental Project Management aspects, its terminologies and its functioning. With the CAPM certification, you will not only attract opportunities to work on challenging projects, but also open up avenues for higher-level certifications in Project Management.
- 23 contact hours spread over three days of classroom based lectures with e-learning facility;
- Exam preparation with mock tests.
Who should attend?
This certification is ideal for Project Managers, Product Managers, Program Managers, Team Leads, Senior Executives and Project Team members.
The course includes an in-depth study of:
- Introduction to Project Management and Role of a Project Manager;
- Project Management Processes;
- Project Integration Management;
- Project Scope Management;
- Project Schedule Management;
- Project Cost Management;
- Project Quality Management;
- Project Human Resource Management;
- Project Communications Management;
- Project Risk Management;
- Project Procurement Management;
- Project Stakeholder Management;
- PMI Ethics and Code of Conduct.
Pre-requisites for the course and eligibility for exam
- A secondary degree, i.e., a high school diploma or an associate’s degree or a global equivalent, and
- Minimum 23 contact hours of mandatory training in project management.
The certification exam is conducted by Project Management Institute – USA (PMI). The certifications are also given by the PMI.
- The exam is conducted online at a PMI-approved testing center or at a place of your convenience through proctoring.
- The exam duration is 3 hours (180 minutes).
- There shall be 150 multiple choice questions out of which 15 questions are pretest questions.
- The 15 pretest questions are not used to score you in the exam.
- The pass/fail result is declared immediately after completion of the exam.
- Certificates are usually received within 6 to 8 weeks after passing the exam. The candidate receives a printed copy of the certificate at the testing center or may download it from the PMI website in case s/he takes an online proctored exam.
- The minimum passing percentage is not disclosed by PMI.
Q. Where is the PMP Certification exam conducted?
A. The exams are conducted at the PMI approved Pearson VUE Testing Centers worldwide. In India, these testing centers are at Mumbai, Pune, Surat, Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Hyderabad. In the alternative, a candidate may also sit the exam through online proctoring at a place of his/her convenience.
Q. For how long is the certification valid?
A. The certification is valid for 5 years from the day you pass the exam.
Q. How do I renew / maintain my CAPM certification?
A. In order to obtain CAPM recertification, you have to apply for and pass the exam during the last year of your certification validity period (i.e., the 5th year). You are allowed 3 attempts to pass the exam. Please note that this recertification process can be begun by the candidate anytime within the fifth year. But if s/he passes the exam after the 5th year expires, then it will not be considered as a “recertification” but a “new CAPM”. That is, the candidate will receive a new certificate with a new certificate number and the old certification will stand terminated. In simple words, this new certification will not be a continuation of the old certification.
Therefore, in order to obtain a “recertification” the candidate ought to pass the exam within the 5th year of his/her old certification. In the alternative, you may acquire another higher level PMI certification, if you are eligible.
Q. How will CAPM help me in other certifications of PMI?
A. By undergoing the mandatory 23 hours of training for CAPM you will also earn 23 PDU’s which may be used to contribute to the training requirement for the PMI-PMP certification or towards the CCR requirement to maintain the PMI-PMP certification.
Q. Can I prepare for and sit the exam by self-study without attending the course hours?
A. No. Although self-study is definitely required in addition to the official training, a candidate shall not be eligible to sit the exam without attending the mandatory 23 contact hours of training.
Q. Is the course fee inclusive of exam fee and cost of study material?
A. No, the course fee is not inclusive of the exam fee. However, the study material and a training kit shall be provided by us.
Q. What is the exam fee?
A. The exam fee charged by PMI is US$ 225 for members of PMI and US$ 300 for non-members.
Q. Is the PMI membership necessary? What are its benefits?
A. No, the PMI membership is not necessary to acquire its certifications. However, subscribing to the membership entails many benefits like discounted prices on exam fee of all PMI accredited courses, free PMBOK Guide download, free opportunities to earn PDU’s, access to PMI’s publications, more than a thousand tools and templates and job opportunities on the PM Job Board. The membership fee of PMI for professionals is US$ 129 per year plus one time application fee of US$ 10. For students, the membership fee is US$ 32 per year.
Q. How do I apply for the exam?
A. The procedure to apply for the exam is the same as that for the PMP certification exam. For details, you may refer to the PMI-Certified Associate Project Management (CAPM) Handbook on the following link: https://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/certified-associate-project-management-handbook.pdf?v=93ba1e82-c540-44d7-b836-7157de481a7e
Q. How many number of attempts are allowed to pass the exam?
A. You have a maximum of 3 attempts to pass the exam within the eligibility period of one year.
Q.What will happen if my eligibility period expires without attempting an exam?
A. If your eligibility period lapses, you shall have to re-apply to PMI.
Q. What will happen if I fail all three attempts?
A. If you fail all three attempts within a year, you shall have to wait for one year from the date of your last attempted exam and thereafter reapply to PMI for CAPM. However, you may apply for other certifications of PMI anytime.