The Certified Scrum Master (CSM) from Scrum Alliance is the most reputed and reliable Scrum certification available in market today. Every agile team needs a Scrum Master who can give direction to the project under the Scrum framework and hedging against distractions. An in-depth knowledge of Scrum paired with a world-class certification will take you miles ahead in your career path. Not to mention, the new avenues it will open up for higher technical qualifications in agile, Scrum and Project Management in general. Scrum Alliance is a benchmark certifying body for education, certification and advocacy of agile and Scrum practices, based in the US. Whether you are a beginner or already know Scrum, the CSM certification from Scrum Alliance will bring you an expertise that organizations world over await to harness.
- 16 hours of classroom based training or 14 hours of live online training by Certified Scrum Trainers (CST’s), both spread over 2 days.
- Includes experience based training through simulations and mock tests.
Who should attend?
The CSM course is perfect for Project / Product Managers, Leaders and members of Scrum teams, Software Developers and professionals and organizations desiring to transition to Scrum Methodology.
The course includes an in-depth study of the following CSM domains:
- Agile and Scrum;
- Scrum Theory:
- Scrum Values;
- Scrum Team;
- Scrum Master;
- Scrum Events; and
- Scrum Artifacts.
Pre-requisites for the course and eligibility for the test:
- There are no eligibility requirements for taking the CSM course and its certification test. A candidate need only attend the mandatory 2 days of in-person training to take the test and get certified.
- However, it is advisable that a candidate has some work experience in Scrum before taking the course. If the candidate is new to Scrum, s/he is prescribed to acquaint him/herself with Scrum by reading and viewing relevant articles and audio/video content online.
- To learn about Scrum, Scrum Alliance’s publication “The Scrum Guide” and their Scrum Foudnations e-Learning series are highly recommended. They can found on the following links:
The Certified Scrum Master certification is granted by Scrum Alliance, upon passing a specially designed online test.
- The test is sat online on the Scrum Alliance website. A candidate may take the test a place of his/her convenience from any computer in the world. This test is not proctored.
- The exam duration is of 1 hour (60 minutes).
- There shall be 50 multiple choice questions out of which 37 questions must be answered correctly in order to pass. 74% is the pass percentage.
- The candidate may download a soft copy of the certificate from the Scrum Alliance website after passing the exam.
- For how long is the certification valid?
- The certification remains active for 2 years.
- How do I renew / maintain my CSM certification?
- In order to maintain the PMP Certification, you have to earn 20 SEU’s (Scrum Education Units) in Agile or Scrum related topics by the end of the validity period of 2 years.
You may take another higher-level certification (in the same track) from Scrum Alliance which will automatically renew your CSM certification up till the expiry date of the higher-level certification. For example, If your CSM certificate expires on 31st May 2020 and you acquire a certification for A-CSM from Scrum Alliance on 1st April 2020 (expiring on 31st March 2022), your CSM certificate will automatically renew up to 31st March 2022.
- What are SEU’s and how to earn them?
- A Scrum Education Unit (SEU) is a unit of measuring one’s continuous learning and development as a Scrum practitioners. One hour of ongoing training and development activity undertaken by a candidate earns him/her one SEU.
SEU’s can be earned by continuous Agile and Scrum related self-education like attending seminars, webinars, Scrum events and gatherings, participating in user groups, reading, creating content (non-compensated) for use of other students / professionals. Please note that work experience shall not be counted towards SEU’s.
- What happens if I do not complete 20 SEU’s within 2 years?
- If you do not achieve 20 SEU’s by the end of 2 years of your certification, you shall have a grace period of 90 days from the date of expiry of the certification. Within this grace period, you must complete 20 SEU’s.
- What happens if I do complete 20 SEU’s even within the grace period?
- If you do not complete 20 SEU’s even during the grace period, your certification expires and becomes inactive.
- Can I prepare for and sit the test by self-study without attending the course hours?
- No. 2 days of training with a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) at a Registered Education Provider (REP) is mandatory to sit the test.
- Is the course fee inclusive of the cost of study material?
- Yes, the cost of study material and a training kit are included in the course fee. Candidates will also be given complementary 2 years membership of Scrum Alliance.
- What is the test fee?
- The test is taken for free up to a period of 90 days after receipt of the account activation link by the candidate. After expiry of this period of 90 days, you will have to pay US$ 25 as an attempt fee to take the test.
- How many attempts are allowed to pass the test?
- You are allowed 2 attempts to pass the test within the period of 90 days.
- How do I apply for the exam?
- Upon completion of the course, your trainer creates your Scrum Alliance certification account on the Scrum Alliance website.
- Scrum Alliance will then send you a welcome email containing your account credentials like username, password and an account activation link.
- Log into your account on https://www.scrumalliance.org/login and select “My Dashboard” by hovering on your name at the top right corner of the webpage.
- Click on “Take CSM test”, select the language of your choice and continue.
- You will be redirected to the test.com site where you may then take the test.
Q.Is it possible to retake the test if I pass but score poorly?
- No, you shall not be allowed to retake the test to improve your score if you have already passed. Your score, however, will be disclosed only to you and not to your trainer or other candidates.