For professionals with more than 5 years of experience in Business Analysis, the Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) from International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) is the go-to certification to validate their knowledge and skill set in Business Analysis. Being a level-3 certification, CBAP from IIBA is recognized world over and is preferred by top rung organizations over other Business Analysis certifications. With CBAP, open doors to new opportunities, higher salaries and unprecedented career growth.
- 35 PD hours spread over four days of classroom based lectures by certified instructors with e-learning facility;
- Includes case studies, simulations and exam preparation through mock tests.
Who should attend?
This course and certification is perfect for Business Architects, Analysts and Consultants, Product Managers and Owners, Project Managers and team members with more than 5 years of work experience.
The course includes an in-depth study of the following 6 BABOK Guide knowledge areas:
- Business Analysis, Planning and Monitoring;
- Elicitation and Collaboration;
- Requirements Lifecycle Management;
- Strategy Analysis;
- Requirements Analysis and Design Definition; and
- Solution Evaluation.
Pre-requisites for the course and eligibility for exam:
- Minimum 7,500 hours of work experience in business analysis in the past 10 years,
- Out of the 7,500 hours mentioned, minimum 3,600 hours of work experience in 4 of the 6 BABOK Guide knowledge areas. These 3,600 hours should comprise of 900 hours (completed) of work experience dedicated to each of the 4 different BABOK Guide knowledge areas,
- Minimum 35 hours of Professional Development (PD’s) in the past 4 years,
- Two references from a career manager, clients or CBAP recipients , and
- Agreement to the Code of Conduct and Terms & Conditions.
The Certified Business Analyst Professional exam and certification is provided by International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), a not for profit association based out of Canada. IIBA is dedicated to maintaining global standards in business analysis through continuous education, certification and undertaking of professional development activities to serve the profession.
- The exam is sat online either at a PSI exam center or through remote online proctor at a place of the candidate’s convenience.
- The exam duration is 3.5 hours (210 minutes) with 120 multiple choice questions. The minimum passing percentage is not disclosed by IIBA.
- The result is shown on screen immediately after completion of the exam.
Q. For how long is the certification valid?
A. The certification is valid for 3 years.
Q. How do I recertify my CBAP certification?
A. To recertify yourself, you have to earn and report 60 CDU’s (Continuing Development Units) by the end of the validity period of 3 years and pay to IIBA a recertification fee of US$ 85 for members and US$ 120 for non-members.
Q. What are CDU’s and how to earn them?
A. A Continuing Development Unit (CDU) is a unit of measuring one’s professional development and services. They can be earned undertaking the following 6 approved categories of activities:
- Professional development,
- Professional experience (work history),
- Professional activities,
- Volunteer service,
- Self-directed learning, and
- Formal academic education.
For one hour spent on such activities, one CDU is earned. For further details on the avenues to earn CDU’s, please check the CBAP Recertification Handbook on the following link: https://www.iiba.org/globalassets/certification/recertification/files/ccba-and-cbap-recertification-handbook.pdf
Q. What happens if I do not earn the CDU’s within the validity period of my certification?
A. In that case, your certification gets a “suspended” status for one year. Within this suspension period, you have to earn and report the required CDU’s to activate your certification. Failure to do so even within the suspension period, will lose you your certification and you shall have to reapply.
Q. Is it mandatory to attend a course in order to sit the exam?
A. Yes, it is mandatory to attend a training course in order to achieve 35 PD’s to qualify you to sit the exam. The PD’s are valid for 4 years.
Q. Is the course fee inclusive of exam fee and cost of study material?
A. The course fee covers the cost of study material and training kit, but NOT the exam fee.
Q. What is the exam fee?
A. The exam application fee charged by IIBA is US$ 125. The exam fee is US$ 325 for members of IIBA and US$ 450 for non-members.
Q. How do I apply for the exam?
- You may apply for the exam by creating a profile and logging in on the IIBA website.
- Under the Dashboard >> Certification tab, fill out the CBAP application form with all the necessary information, including details of experience, pay the non-refundable application fee and submit the application form
- IIBA will then assess your application and immediately convey to you by email if your application is “approved” or “approved pending audit”.
- Upon approval, you will have to make payment of the exam fee and schedule an exam.
- You remain eligible to sit the exam for a period of one year after the approval.
Q. What if my application is “approved pending audit”?
A. If your application gets picked up for a random audit, you will receive an email from the IIBA Certification Body asking you to validate any information on the application form. The audit is typically completed within one month. The result of the audit is communicated to you setting out reasons in case of failure. If you fail the audit, your application is rejected and the application fee forfeited. You cannot reapply unless you have remedied the reasons for which you failed the audit.
Q. How many number of attempts are allowed to pass the certification exam?
A. You have a maximum of 3 attempts to pass the certification exam within the eligibility period of one year. If you fail all 3 attempts, you will have to wait till the eligibility period ends to re-apply with full fees. If the eligibility period lapses without you attempting / re-attempting the exam, you shall have to re-apply with full fees.